Fields of Ranunculus

by Cynthia on February 13, 2011

Recently I mentioned I have been going through my personal patterns and contemplating getting them out of my notebook(s) and publishing some of them for others to enjoy. I finally got around to doing just that this weekend and here is the first one!

Fields of Ranunculus Cowl

This pattern is for a simple to knit cowl. I am in love with cowls right now and this one looks lacy while being incredibly easy to knit. The colors reminded me of a ranunculus field I once lived by. The perfect rows of vibrant colors could be seen from miles away.

Carlsbad Flower Fields

{please click on photo for credit}

Such a beautiful flower the ranunculus is!

Carlsbad Flower Fields 3-1

{please click on photo for credit}

I think this cowl is a lovely reminder that spring is not too far off- a beautiful shot of color through the last few dark days of winter.

Fields of Ranunculus Cowl

Any aran weight yarn will work for this pattern but I chose Noro Kureyon because of the beautiful blends of color.

I have made this pattern available as a free pdf download and you can get a copy of it yourself here.

If you make this I would love to see pictures!

jenn February 14, 2011 at 3:13 am

Wow! Your right, the colors are just like a spot of Spring! I love cowls also and your pattern looks so cute! I must try it! Thank you for sharing with us. The ranunculus is a beautiful flower!!

Brenda Kempf February 15, 2011 at 7:28 am

Lovely cowl…and the color repeats are so perfect for this…wonder how long they are, would love to spin up something for this..stunning!

Paula March 1, 2011 at 12:52 am

Hi! I have to say I have been lurking around your site for a bit now and just love it! You have all my favorite intrests in one spot. :) I found it by accident when I googled for a natural dye for some wool yarn and found yours on the black bean dye. Very creative I must add.
Anyway I had to make a comment and say I Love your Ranunculus Cowl pattern! Beautiful!

Cynthia March 1, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Thank you all for the nice comments! I’m so pleased by the overwhelming response I have received from this pattern. I should have posted this much sooner!

@jenn- please do let me know if you try the pattern. I’d love to see yours!

@Brenda- I think some handspun yarn would be just beautiful with this pattern. Would love to see what you come up with!

@Paula- Thank you for the nice comments all around! I’m pleased to read that you are enjoying my blog as well as the pattern. Thank you for visiting! :)

Marianne January 17, 2012 at 12:54 pm

My daughter has been trying to get me to knit and crochet with her and this cowl looks like a great project to start with. Thanks for sharing. I found your site because I was trying to discover what kind of flowering trees I had in my yard from some photos that I took last spring – you have a lovely blog – am enjoying your photos- thanks!

Jan April 11, 2013 at 10:12 am

Great pattern. Just started following you and love your ideas.