Somewhat Ridiculous

by Cynthia on February 12, 2013

Knitting WIPs

handspund shetland yarn

feather and fan shawl

Earlier today I decided to pull out all of my works in progress and take a good hard look at them. I am acquiring way too many unfinished or almost there projects for my liking these days. I intended to look at them all and see what was worth finishing and what was worth ripping out or frogging and putting the yarn towards another use. Once I had them all in a pile I suddenly felt rather embarrassed. I found myself asking, “Seriously, what is the matter with me? Do I have some sort of commitment phobia?!” Why am I getting to about the half way point on a pattern and then tossing it aside to start another pattern only to toss that one aside. Could it be a short attention span moves me from one pattern to yet another intriguing sounding pattern? I really cannot answer that tonight. Maybe I get sidetracked by life? Maybe the pattern suddenly becomes mundane? Or maybe a birthday/holiday comes up out of nowhere on me and I have to focus my attention on gift giving. Whatever the cause may be, I really do not like it and feel slightly anxious just looking at that picture. I feel obligated to complete each and everyone but honestly I don’t think I want to.

Gabriel’s new Milo vest (the pretty shade of blue yarn) is most certainly going to be finished and here soon. But I just started that one a few days ago so that does not count. Then there’s my Tea Leaves cardigan and that one too is going to be finished if only because I bought the most beautiful buttons to go with it– plus I really want to wear that cardigan before spring gets here. But see the various shades of brown yarn? That is a sweater I started for Gabriel over a year ago. It might still fit him if I were to finish it NOW. Also in that pile are 3 shawls, 1 scarf, 1 cuff to a sock, a diaper soaker that is at the grafting stage (if you have ever knitted a diaper soaker before you know what I’m talking about), and one almost complete fingerless mitt.

I was looking at each project, inspecting the yarn, debating what to do when I picked up the light pink WIP. I do not remember why I put this one down. I was really enjoying my work on it. It is going to be a very simple light weight shawl made just from the feather and fan stitch. The yarn is 100% Shetland wool that I handspun to about a sock weight. I purchased the fiber as a batt from a local farmer that raises the sheep herself. I absolutely love the yarn and am sad I put this one down. I think this one for sure is going to be picked back up and finished. As for the other works in progress? Well, Gabriel might be out of diapers before I get around to finishing that soaker! And you know what? I think I am okay with that.

So, how about you? Do you get in over your head with projects and crafts? Or do you knock them out one by one?

Dree February 12, 2013 at 11:15 pm

Hey, I thought your pile looked small!

I get derailed by:
• summer/heat–I have several half-done afghans
• baby gifts
• a quilting jag
• being unable to find a project I want to restart (I admit it)
• life–work, school/scout events, family coming to visit, even a vacation

My pile is crochet, but I also have a quilting pile. I have 3 quilting projects I am going to finish this year, and a kind-of-kit (no pattern) that I have unwrapped and looked at, so must do because it got BIG when I unwrapped it LOL.

That pink shawl is beautiful!

Cynthia February 13, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Hi Dree!

Oh boy! I forgot about my crochet and sewing projects! That’s a whole other side of my closet! I hope you can keep motivated on the kit. At least if it is big in size you might not forget about it! ;) Good luck with all your projects!

Amy G February 13, 2013 at 2:53 am

I’m not a yarn-project person, but we tend to have a completion problem. We’ll work a project (usually home or yard) until it’s almost done, then that last bit sits for quite a while before we get back to it. We’re good at “almost done”.

Cynthia February 13, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Hi Amy,

I tend to have gardening projects always in the works. Sometimes I just wish I could complete a project all at one go! At least “almost done” is better than “never done”. :)

steph February 13, 2013 at 4:49 am

oh, my goodness—-I’ve had the same lament lately; too many things going, and in my case, not a bit of love for any of them—at the moment. missing mojo or something. sounds like you found something to get excited about again…..lucky feather and fan. it sure is going to be beautiful!

Cynthia February 13, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Thank you Steph for the comment on the feather and fan shawl. I hope to work on it some later on tonight. I hope you get some of your mojo back here soon. :)

Barb @ FL Mom's Blog February 13, 2013 at 5:24 am

I love the colors in the projects you got piled up! Mercy, if I piled up all of my unfinished and in-progress projects, I think that my pile would definitely be larger!And I started working on some of them back in the mid ’80s!

Cynthia February 13, 2013 at 4:18 pm

To be honest Barb, there is a lot more but the one’s photographed are what I grabbed and started rummaging through. There is definitely more tucked here and there about my home. At least we always have something to fall back on if we ever get bored! Ha! :D

Taryn Kae Wilson @ Wooly Moss Roots February 13, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Hello Cynthia,
I love seeing the projects you’re working on. And thanks for linking to us about the buttons! We really appreciate it. :)

Joining the YarnAlong each week has really helped motivate me to get projects done. Speaking of that.. I need to go work on my YarnAlong post. I’m going to post a baby hat I just finished in your gorgeous yarn.

Love,
Taryn

Cynthia February 13, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Hi Taryn,
I have not done the Yarn Along in weeks! Perhaps I should as you are right, it does help keep you motivated. It also keeps my “want to knit” list huge. :) There is always so much inspiration to be found in everyone’s Yarn Along posts.

I can’t wait to see that baby hat! :)

Taryn Kae Wilson @ Wooly Moss Roots February 16, 2013 at 8:16 am

My crafting area is another story! :) I got a lot of cleaning done in that space this week, but I have so many unfinished projects in there. It would feel wonderful to get them all finished.

Cynthia February 16, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Wouldn’t it be wonderful if we had the time to complete all of those projects we once started! Unfortunately for me, time is in short supply while my crafting supplies are not! :D

meghann February 13, 2013 at 9:05 pm

I feel so much better about my pile now that I’ve seen yours! I think I have more than you do but not by much… (The Yarn Along definitely helps. I don’t want to bore everyone by posting the same things week after week, so it motivates me to finish. Or at least to start something new…which maybe isn’t such a big help after all…) xo

Cynthia February 16, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Hi Meghann,

I remember feeling that way when I was doing the Yarn Along posts. Thinking “oh no I already blogged about this project more than once I have to move on to something else!” Funny the pressures we put on ourselves isn’t it? I, for one, do not mind seeing someone’s progress unfold as the weeks go by but I always felt like I was growing dull.

I might have to do another Yarn Along post here soon! :)

anna maria February 15, 2013 at 8:15 am

Your pile looked small to me too! I once photographed and blogged about all my unfinished projects and, unfortunately, they spanned various media: yarn, ceramics, jewelry making, collage, etc, etc. It did not do any good, I think most of them are still unfinished.

Cynthia February 16, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Hi Anna Maria,

It is nice to see you here again!
I am finding it funny that everyone is thinking my pile looks small! :) I guess I should have gathered all of my projects up from about the house before taking the pic. Those were just the ones that were handy to photograph! I actually forgot about a lot of the others until after writing up this post. It is nice to read that I am not alone in the unfinished crafts department! :)

Suddenexpression February 15, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Stop blaming yourself! If you are like me you can blame all the different blogs yo read with amazing projects on the needles, all the great knitwear designers there are now, and all the yarn you could easily blow a life savings on. Then ask yourself this, would you possibly have all those projects on the needles at once if you didn’t have Internet? Or better yet, Ravelry?

Cynthia February 16, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Your are right when it comes to the internet, I do see other people’s projects or new patterns and want to just grab my needles and start another knit. But I sadly had this problem the second I picked up my first set of needles which was before I had the internet sooo, I can’t really use that excuse! ;)