Frantically Knitting

by Cynthia on December 13, 2011

I’m finally getting around to joining Ginny for another Yarn Along! It has been too long since my last!

There have been lots of knitting and reading going on in my house this past month. We discovered our (new to us) library a few weeks back and are so thrilled to have it only a couple of blocks from our new home. It is just wonderful! We have been busy frequenting it about once a week.

Ariella is currently in love with Eloise, The Absolutely Essential Edition by Kay Thompson. I, however, am not quite as impressed. It is a cute story and full of fun mischievousness. But it is the mischievous part that I have a bit of a problem with. You see, Ariella has taken quite the liking to this little 6-year-old character and has been acting out various sections of the book that obviously left an impression on her. She has even decided she wants to dress like Eloise. This sometimes cute sometimes not so cute behavior was also scene when Ariella took a liking to the book Fancy Nancy.

I have been busy checking out various books on knitting, cooking, and the like. I have just about finished reading George and Sam by Charlotte Moore. This book is both fascinating and heart wrenching for me to read as it follows the story of one single mother and her three boys, two of which are diagnosed with autism. I have found myself on multiple occasions nodding my head in agreement and crying at the same time while reading her accounts. I must quote what she wrote on page 137: “The powerlessness that results from finding your child in the grip of some torment you don’t understand is horrible.” This is exactly how I felt about this time last year when we were seeing specialist after specialist trying to find out what was troubling our daughter and making our older son so sick. I cannot believe that all those events were a year ago now. They feel like yesterday and yet almost dreamlike too.

My knitting has been both frantic and sporadic. Little bursts of it here and there when I can squeeze it in when no one is looking. Most of my knitting right now will find itself under the Christmas tree so I am sneaking around with my knitting needles whenever I get the chance. (Mostly way too late at night when I should be sleeping!) The bulk of my gift knitting is being done with my hand-dyed and hand-spun yarn which I am quite excited about. Pattern details will follow in future posts….

I can’t wait to read and see what is on your needles and bookshelves this week!

heather hawkes December 14, 2011 at 12:10 am

that is how i have been knitting, here there and everywhere… but still trying to be all secretive about it. lol

Kaylana Miller December 14, 2011 at 4:17 am

Hi! Just stopping in with the Yarn Along.
My heart goes out to you after reading your links. May your next year bring peace and contentment.
Incidentally, I was supposed to meet a new family here that sounds very similar to yours. My personal research regarding wheat is only just beginning. There is a definite link between wheat and estrogen dominance which surfaced for me as severe psoriasis and other health issues.
Please feel free to contact me if you’d like to see the research articles that support this link.
Cheers to a season filled with happiness and memories!

Cynthia December 15, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Thank you Kaylana for your kind comment. I would be very greatly if you would tell me more about this research. Happy Holidays to you.

Debby December 14, 2011 at 6:08 am

I know exactly how you feel…I have to remember which bits of knitting I can do in front of which people!

Ellen December 14, 2011 at 7:38 am

Looking forward to seeing your future posts…those yarns look wonderful. There’s been some secret and not-so-secret knitting here too, but my list and available time may not match up. We’ll see. Love that your library is close to your house. Wish ours was closer. How are you transitioning into your new home? Glad that the move is over and done?

Linda December 14, 2011 at 7:54 am

Your wool and knitting look beautiful!

Tracey December 14, 2011 at 8:01 am

There is quite a bit of late night knitting going on here too. After the holiday’s I’m going to just sleep!
I have a library about a ten minute drive from my home, it is nice as long as I remember the due dates :).

Taryn Oakley December 14, 2011 at 8:37 am

lovely yarn. I don’t like when my son takes a liking to the mischievous characters either.
Glad to hear about your library! Ours is just a 10 minute walk away and we go about once a week as well. love it.

Heather December 14, 2011 at 2:02 pm

My oldest son likes to model himself after book characters. Unfortunately some of his favorites are not mine :)

Cinj December 16, 2011 at 5:53 am

Cynthia it has been ages since I chatted with you last, the time sure has flown. You make your own yarn? That is awesome. I was thinking how it would be neat to have some sheep and make my own yarn too. My husband still thinks I’m crazy but he has begun talking about making me a chicken coop so he must be coming around to my craziness, right? ;)