Wisteria Purple

by Cynthia on March 7, 2012

How is it that the Yarn Along has slipped past me for several weeks now? My how time has flown by!

Yesterday I pick up my double pointed needles and began knitting some fingerless mitts for myself (finally!).  I’m using the handspun hand-dyed yarn I posted about the other day and I am just loving the fact that these are going to be for me! I’m also enjoying using my Brittany double pointed needles again. (video review of them here if you are interested.) I have not used them in forever and have missed them. I love how they feel and think they are really wonderful to knit with- and no I’m not being paid to say that!

A few weeks back I finished the Language of Flowers and enjoyed it so much even if at times I hated the main character and how she treated people (even if I understood why). It was very frustrating for me at times. I have since had a hard time picking up a new fiction book. Has that ever happened to you? Do you read a book and connect with the characters so much that once you put it down it becomes hard to pick up a new book and move on to a different story? It’s like having to tell good friends goodbye. I felt this way after reading the Language of Flowers.

I spent a couple of weeks browsing magazines and nonfiction books waiting for the urge to start over with a different fiction book to hit. It finally did Monday night and I began reading Into the Free by Julie Cantrell. This story is set in Mississippi during the Depression and opens with the main character, Millie, at nine years old. Immediately I was pulled in by Millie’s narrative voice and I am hopeful this book will not disappoint. I have only made it to chapter 4 so far but am already hooked.

My “to read” and “to knit” lists are ever growing thanks to our weekly Yarn Along posts. I always enjoy seeing what else everyone has been reading and knitting. As always, thank you to Ginny for hosting it every week.

{Pattern and Ravlery notes can be found here.}

Taryn Oakley March 7, 2012 at 8:17 am

I was thinking about making myself some new fingerless gloves as well. I found some lovely patterns over the weekend. Love that color purple!

Tracey March 7, 2012 at 8:34 am

I have discovered that it is very nice to knit something for one’s self! Hooray for you doing the same. I have a special love all all things lavender and your yarn is just lovely.

Amy @ A Faithful Journey March 7, 2012 at 9:59 am

My daughter would love that yarn…what a gorgeous shade of purple!

I have the same book waiting for me on my Kindle. Glad to hear it is a good one!

Victoria @ Mommy Marginalia March 7, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I’m very much that way when I finish a book: unable to dive into anything remotely similar straightaway. I find I have to switch genres to reset my mind:if it was historical fiction, I pull out a mystery, or shift gears altogether with some nonfiction. Happy Yarn Along Wednesday!

swanski March 7, 2012 at 12:12 pm

I’m going to have to look for that book that you loved so very much! Sounds good. And yes I do get sad when a really good book is over. I try to find something different so I am not comparing story lines or writing styles.

ang March 7, 2012 at 3:58 pm

hi there ! ive got that same purple… cant wait to see what you are making with yours. x

Erin @ Wild Whispers March 7, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Love that purple! I’m sure you will love your mitts!

steph March 8, 2012 at 11:39 am

well, my reading to-do list just got a bit longer……looks like a goodie!!

Ellen March 9, 2012 at 3:16 pm

That color is like a bit of springtime ’round the bend. It looks very soft. I was thinking recently that as the season is changing, I probably should figure out some cotton or light wool/wool blends to knit instead. But first, I hope to finish up my wintery items – at least they’ll be ready for the following winter.

Reading fiction right now is not happening too much unless you count the historical fiction books for school I read aloud. I’m sure summer time I’ll be reading a lot more for myself.

Cynthia March 10, 2012 at 9:16 pm

I forgot all about sweet potatoes! Thanks for reminding me! They are so much fun to sprout and you can actually break off the sprouts and grow them in the garden and {hopefully} get some sweet potatoes at the end of the season. I once grew one as a houseplant and it was actually really pretty. I think I need to do this again!

Cynthia March 10, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Thanks to all the thoughtful comments everyone! I look forward to next week’s Yarn Along. :)

Vaughn March 13, 2012 at 1:59 am

I cant wait to see the resulting fingerless mitts. For sure it will look fabulous because of the yarn you are using.

Christina March 18, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Beautiful color! I love fingerless mits. They are so much fun to knit and wear. Been dying to join In on the knit along as well, but am in the middle of moving…ugh!
Good luck with the mits!

Margarita March 21, 2012 at 1:54 am

Yes, I experience that when I get so engrossed with what I am reading. It is as if I will be betraying certain people (the characters in the fiction) when I have to put down the book.

anna maria March 27, 2012 at 10:44 am

What a lovely color! Fingerless mitts, which I find are such comforting accessories, are a perfect use for it (actually anything would be).

Ellen April 24, 2012 at 11:34 am

Just checking in – I keep hoping you’ll post but I know how busy life can get. Hope your busy-ness is good and not bad or stressful. Enjoy the rest of April!

Garden centre Cleveland May 4, 2012 at 2:20 am