A Year *or more* in the Making

knitted hexagon blanket

knitted hexagon blanket

knitted hexagon blanket

knitted hexagon blanket

knitted hexagon blanket

knitted hexagon blanket

About a year ago I started knitting little hexagons with my scraps of wool yarn. Not little hexipuffs for a Beekeepers Quilt mind you. (although I do adore that pattern too!) Just simple little knitted flat hexagons. I came across the hexagon pattern (it’s free by the way) quite a while ago and thought it would be really cute to make a scrappy hexagon blanket or throw using just my naturally dyed yarns.

I have since memorized the pattern months ago and average about 5 or so hexagons a week. This has added up to the pile you see in the photos. I have no idea how many I really have. Well over one hundred I am pretty sure. I started thinking the other day that it just might be time to start sewing them together and seeing how big it is going to be. I would love for it to fit my queen sized bed as a quilt but that might require a bit more hexagons!

I started to lay them out on my bed to get any idea of how to arrange them.

I just love looking at them. I also love that each and everyone is naturally dyed and I remember dyeing every single yarn that they are made with. In that respect it is sort of like a memory quilt too.

I’m hoping to start sewing them together tonight. I’m a bit worried that Gabriel might be coming down with one of the nasty bugs that are causing others to drop all around us. I certainly hope not but if he is I know what I’ll be working on if I need to sit with him for awhile.

*Edited to add: I just did up a Ravelry page for my notes. Here is the link

Summer February 23, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Wow! what a beautiful, lovely, special blanket that will be! A treasure!

Cynthia February 23, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Thank you Summer! :)

Dree February 23, 2013 at 5:25 pm

It will be beautiful! I love how the bicolored ones pop up every once in awhile.

But I don’t envy you all those ends.

Cynthia February 23, 2013 at 10:48 pm

Thank you Dree! I love the bicolor ones too. I’m going to use those ends to sew it all together so hopefully it won’t be too bad. ;)

a little crafty nest February 23, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Cynthia…whoever said natural plant dyeing makes drab colours is so wrong!!! Look at the stunning rainbow you’ve made! Just beautiful. I sat for a while looking at each colour, and wondering how you got them all…simply gorgeous! I have a plum bark bath happening right now, going on into the second week…it is slightly stinky, but not anything like those black beans :)
xo Jules
P.S. I hope your son stays healthy!

Cynthia February 23, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Hi Jules :)
Thank you so much! I’m rather excited about the whole thing really. I can’t wait for it to be finished. The black beans can be pretty bad can’t they? They are definitely the smelliest dye I have ever used I think! :)

Lucy Corrander February 24, 2013 at 1:06 am

Millions and millions of them – and beautiful when assembled. I’m not sure I could face such work though. I’d be permanently worried something would go wrong (spills, cats claws, shrinkings). It’s a brave task!

Lucy Corrander February 24, 2013 at 1:06 am

P.S. Hope the family stays well.

steph February 24, 2013 at 6:22 am

it’s like a garden—-every color is just perfect together!!! what a beautiful project!!!

Barbee February 24, 2013 at 8:56 am

Make me think of kites!

Taryn Kae Wilson @ Wooly Moss Roots February 24, 2013 at 9:17 am

Cynthia,
I love your little hexagons for making a quilt! What a wonderful project! I am truly amazed at all of the colors you have gotten with your natural dyes. WOW!

Love,
Taryn

Margot February 24, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Oh, I am so excited to see how it comes out……and am inspired to maybe start a similar project! How will you sew them together, and what about the edges, how will they come out even? Can’t wait to see it finished! I love the colors!

Erin @ Wild Whispers February 26, 2013 at 8:24 am

I love it. I have long been looking for a way to use up the bits and bobs I have around the house. I adore the look of a crocheted granny square blanket, but as I am not a crocheter, I have yet to figure out how to replicate that with knitting. Don’t know why I didn’t think of doing this! I do believe you have inspired a whole group of us!